Wednesday, December 9, 2009

As I Predicted

I warned about the costs of security alone for the terror trial of Khalid Sheik Mohammed in New York. And I have been vindicated. Over 1,000 NYPD officers and analysts alone will be assigned. This is not including the number of Deputy United States Marshals, Federal Protective Service Officers, Special Agents, and Inspectors, nor detailees from other federal agencies, as well as hundreds of FBI agents who will be detailed to supplement the security with investigative counter-terrorism activity. And, the estimate of $75 million as cost to NYC alone is exposed as "'...was a preliminary, back of the envelope estimate. It is expected to cost significantly more.'" http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/york-grand-jury-hears-evidence-911-terror-trial/story?id=9291998

My prediction here with the unreported costs of diverting federal law enforcement from their origional responsibilities. And this does not include the opportunity cost of diverting 1,000 NYPD personnel from the regular crime and terrorism beat to counter this voluntary and unnecessary trial. http://federaleagent86.blogspot.com/2009/11/another-cost-of-trying-terrorists.html

If I were Al-Queda, or an Al-Queda inspired wannabe, I would hit Akron, San Francisco, Santa Fe, or LA. They will be stripped of counterterrorism personnel and wide open.

Also, if I were a federal prisoner or parolee, I would take this opportunity to escape or skip out. The U.S. Marshals Service will be too busy to look for you.

No comments: