The Gainesville Sun March 27, 2014 by Associated Press
TALLAHASSEE — Florida's top election official is putting on hold a contentious plan to identify and remove non-U.S. citizens from the state's voter rolls.
Secretary of State Ken Detzner on Thursday told the state's local election supervisors that he is delaying the effort until next year because of changes underway with a federal database that is used to help identify potential ineligible voters.
But the move comes amid lingering doubts from supervisors who remained skeptical of the state's ability to accurately identify such voters. An initial voter purge initiated ahead of the 2012 elections found some ineligible voters, but it also wrongly identified U.S. citizens.
In fact, there was no problem with misidentifying U.S. citizens as aliens. There is no problem, because initial evidence is only used to initiate an investigation. It is no problem if every lead on a possible illegal voter does not pan out. That is how investigations into any misconduct pan out. Some investigations are successful and some are not. If every investigation of a crime was unsuccessful and law enforcement agencies used that as the standard to decide not to initiate any further investigation, crime would skyrocket. Which obviously is the plan here, as it appears that both parties don't want to find out about illegal voting by aliens. There must be a lot of that illegal voting if politicians are frightened of the outcome of investigations.
This blog has reported successful investigations by voting authorities, such as illegal voting by Anita Caragan, but it appears that success is a red headed step-child here. The crime is occurring, time to identify and prosecute the perpetrators.
The radical left tried to use lawfare to intimidate elections officials, but their lawsuit failed.
But critics charged the push was an effort by Republicans to intimidate naturalized citizens who are likely minorities and the effort spawned lawsuits against the state. A federal court last summer dismissed a lawsuit that a Hispanic civic organization and two naturalized citizens filed last year to block the contentious voter purge.
The lawsuit became moot because of a U.S. Supreme Court decision that halted enforcement of a federal law that required all or parts of 15 states with a history of discrimination in voting to get federal approval before changing the way they hold elections.
So, why did Florida Republican officials pull back after victory was achieved? Apparently it was to curry favor with the very groups whose lawsuit failed.
Groups that fought the state on the voter purge hailed Detzner's decision to postpone the state's efforts for now.
"It was irresponsible for Gov. Scott to undermine faith in our elections by creating fear that our voter rolls were filled with illegitimate voters when there was no evidence to suggest it," said Howard Simon, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida. "Today's announcement confirms that the purge itself was the real threat to election integrity all along."
Typical of RINOs, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. To answer the question, Republicans just don't want to win if it includes looking out for the historic American nation.