Sunday, February 19, 2012

Hate-filled Snark From The WSJ

The Wall Street Journal is publishing more nonsense. In a churlish and rude reference to American immigration policy it whines that America might have been deprived of a less than stellar basketball player and implies that millions of ubermensch immigrants similar to Jeremy Lin are languishing outside the United States, ready and willing to show their superhuman superiority to those of us who had the misfortune of parents who were born here.

WSJ February 17, 2012


Jeremy Lin didn't come from nowhere.

But Mr. Lin didn't come from nowhere. He was born and raised in the United States after the federal government managed to allow his parents to move here from Taiwan in the 1970s. Like so many others who have enriched America and the world, the two engineers made their way to California's Silicon Valley. Few might have guessed that their son would make his living around backboards instead of circuit boards, and despite his stellar hoops career at Palo Alto High School, there was little interest in Mr. Lin among major college coaches.

Our friends at the New York Post inspired that headline after watching a child of immigrants perform a series of unexpected feats on the basketball court. In case you've been hibernating, Jeremy Lin has seemingly come from nowhere to lead the National Basketball Association's previously uninspired New York Knicks to seven straight wins as their point guard before Friday night's game.

The shocking thing is that the rude comment about American immigration policy should instead read how fortunate he and his parents were. But it is astonishing that the WSJ should write something so misleading the same month that other immigrants were in the news:

Mohammed Altameemi, Yusra Farhan, and Tabarak Altameemi

PHOENIX (CBS5) February 15, 2012


A Valley couple and their 18-year-old daughter have been arrested in an alleged assault on the couple's other daughter.

Yusra Farhan, 50, was arrested Feb. 8, 2012, for allegedly beating her daughter and trying her to a bed. The victim told police it was because her mom caught the young woman speaking with a man.

Officer James Holmes with the Phoenix Police Department said detectives served a search warrant at the family's home on 35th Avenue on Feb. 15. Farhan was re-arrested for a November aggravated assault.

The father, Mohammed Altameemi, 45, and the victim's sister, Tabarak Altameemi, 18, were also arrested for aggravated assault.

Detectives say they learned that in November 2011, the victim reported she was in a bedroom of the home when she was held down by her sister while her mother burned her on the face and chest with a hot spoon. The victim reported she was punished for refusing an arranged marriage with a 38-year-old man.


HuffPo February 17, 2012


WASHINGTON — A 29-year-old Moroccan man who believed he was working with al-Qaida was arrested Friday near the U.S. Capitol as he was planning to detonate what he thought was a suicide vest that undercover operatives gave him, officials said.

Danilo Velasquez, Luis Herrera, and Jaime Balam

SFGate February 16, 2012 by Bob Egelko


A member of San Francisco's MS-13 gang was sentenced to life in federal prison Wednesday for taking part in the fatal shooting of a 21-year-old college student mistaken for a rival gang member.

Danilo Velasquez was convicted in November of racketeering, conspiracy and weapons charges in the death of Moises Frias, shot in his car outside the Daly City BART station in February 2009. He was not charged with murder.

Prosecutors said Velasquez and a fellow MS-13 member, Jaime Balam, jumped out of their stolen car and opened fire on Frias and his friends, who wore red clothing they associated with the rival Norteño gang. Balam was deported to Mexico before being identified as a suspect and has not been caught.

A third MS-13 member, Luis Herrera, who pleaded guilty to racketeering and conspiracy and admitted driving the car, has been sentenced to 35 years in prison.


CBS 5 January 25, 2012


SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — A son whose father and two brothers were fatally shot in San Francisco’s Excelsior District as they drove home from a family outing in Fairfield in 2008 testified Wednesday that he saw alleged MS-13 gang member Edwin Ramos fire the shots.

Andrew Bologna said he saw Ramos shoot his father Anthony, 48, and his brothers Michael, 20, and Matthew, 16, as the family drove near Congdon and Maynard streets shortly after 3 p.m. on June 22, 2008.

Mohammed Wali Zazi

HuffPo February 10, 2012 by Collen Long


NEW YORK -- The father of an admitted terrorist was sentenced to 4 1/2 years in prison Friday after he was convicted of destroying evidence and lying to investigators to cover up his son's plot to attack the New York City subways in 2009 as one of a trio of suicide bombers.

Mohammed Wali Zazi, 56, could have faced up to 40 years, though his attorneys had argued for probation because they said he was simply trying to protect his family and had no idea what his son was up to.

His son, Najibullah Zazi, has admitted that he returned from a trip to Pakistan to his family's Denver-area home to practice concocting homemade bombs using chemicals extracted from common beauty supplies. He then drove to New York City in September 2009 with plans to attack the subway system in a "martyrdom operation" before he learned he was being watched by the FBI and fled back to Colorado. The plot was sanctioned by al-Qaida, but thwarted by authorities.

The elder Zazi was found guilty of conspiracy and obstruction of justice at a trial detailing the unraveling of a working-class family of Afghan-Americans amid chilling allegations of homegrown terror. He clawed his way to a fairly comfortable life in the U.S., hoping to give his children what he didn't experience: A life without struggle.

And he refused to believe, even at his sentencing, that his son was plotting an attack. He gave a long statement in Pashto through an interpreter saying his family was victimized.

"I believe that my son was pressured," he said. "I don't think that he was involved in any wrongdoing. I am sorry. The last three years my family ... went through very difficult times."

Jamshid Muhtorov

Denver Post February 15, 2012 by Felisa Cardona


Uzbek refugee Jamshid Muhtorov won't be released on bond, a federal magistrate judge ruled this afternoon, citing concerns he might leave the country and poses a danger to the community.
"I have a grave concern that, rather than go to jail in the United States, defendant is at risk of choosing an alternative that would present a risk to other persons of the community," wrote U.S. Magistrate Judge Michael Hegarty.

The ruling comes a day after assistant U.S. attorney Greg Holloway told the court Muhtorov admitted he knew the Islamic Jihad Union was a combat organization that fights NATO and U.S. forces in Afghanistan.

Muhtorov, a 35-year-old Aurora resident, is charged with providing material support to the IJU, a designated foreign terrorist organization.

And that is just in the last 30 days. A high cost to immigration.

Just think if we did not "manage" to allow the Zazis, or the Muhtorovs, or the Altimeemes, or Herrera, Ramos, or Velasquez, or Balam, ad infinitum, to immigrant? Immigration is not without its costs, just ask the Bologna family. That is something the WSJ does not calculate. It only snidely denigrates the United States for not admitting more immigrants. They all won't be like the Lins. And, by the way, they play basketball in Taiwan. With zero immigration, Jeremy Lin would still be fine and the Bolognas would still be alive.

No comments: